Aimpoint CompM5 is the latest generation optic from world famous Comp optic product line. Learn why it's one of the best red dots currently on the market:
Aimpoint Comp M5
Ease of Use
Aimpoint Comp M5 review covers the newest addition to the legendary Comp product line. Comp M5 is the most rugged and durable Aimpoint product up to the release of this optic. The sight is compatible with Aimpoint Micro series mounts, can withstand any recoil stress and is much lighter, but more durable than previous generation Comp M4 model. Buy with confidence, because this is covered by their lifetime VIP warranty.
In-depth review of Aimpoint Comp M5
Comp M5 is the latest model in Aimpoints Comp series. Product released in late 2017 still needs to prove it's worth and build itself the same reputation previous models have. We have covered previous generation optic in our Aimpoint Comp M4 review.
Learn why Comp M5 is better than previous generation model.
Description of the Aimpoint Comp M5 red dot sight
It‘s been over a decade since Aimpoint came out with Comp M4 model and they have very recently released their newest model in Comp product line – Aimpoint Comp M5.
First thing you might notice when comparing other Aimpoint optics is that M5 is much smaller than their previous product Comp M4. It stands roughly around the middle between Comp M4 and Micro T-2.
It can also be compared the same way in weight. Comp M4 weighs 9.4 oz, Micro T-2 weighs 3.0 oz, while their latest product Comp M5 weighs 5.2 oz. It‘s moderately high for a sight of the same size, but since the product is one of the most durable ones on the market – that explains slightly higher weight.
Same as their previous generation – this sight can withstand the stress of firearm recoil, no matter the caliber. Aimpoint CompM5 was developed for military and law enforcement use, proving the overall quality of the sight.
Every branch of US military has been using different red dots from Comp product line for over 2 decades and this optic will continue the trend. Developed with highest quality standards in mind, but being more approachable, lightweight and even more rugged, makes it a better choice over previous generation Comp M4 model. Second ruggedness improvement that was done – protective front window was added, which protects the sight even further from outside elements and potential damage.
Another big difference between Comp M4 and their latest model Comp M5 – the latter optic is compatible with mounts of Micro series sights and is mountable on the standard Picatinny rail.
The standard configuration of Aimpoint Comp M5 contains an LRP mount, 39 mm spacer and obviously the sight. You will also get flip covers for both ends of the sight, rear one being transparent.
The moderately small size of this optic makes it fully compatible with additional attachments, such as kill flashes, night vision devices and magnifiers. Ones that are going to work the best will be 3xMag Module by Aimpoint or 6xMag Module.
Battery life on medium brightness settings has gone down from 80,000 hours on daylight mode to 50,000 hours, which is still more than enough. Although if you’re planning on using lithium batteries, it could pull more than 50,000 hours. When setting up the sight using night vision options – battery life on medium brightness settings will last for 10 consecutive years.
Instead of standard AA batteries, Aimpoint CompM5 uses AAA batteries. It has 4 night vision settings and 6 daylight settings, including an extra bright one. This is a downgrade from Comp M4, which had 9 daylight brightness settings and 6 night vision options.
Just like previous generation – you’re able to use any voltage battery and the optic uses Advanced Circuit Efficiency Technology (ACET technology), which allows for lower power consumption.
The lenses of Aimpoint Comp M5 are extremely clear and crispy. They also have a standard multi-coating on the outside, with anti-reflective coating, providing very clear vision, no matter the lighting conditions.
Optic comes with a standard lifetime warranty that Aimpoint offers for all their products. You don’t need to save purchase receipt or fill out any warranty forms – they will provide you with free repairs or replacements for damaged and faulty parts of a red dot sight.
Purchase the sight with confidence – this is one of those optics that you’re going to use for at least a decade. It will withstand any stress you put on the sight, won’t get damaged easily and it’s going to be an overall great experience using the red dot.
Toughness test for Aimpoint Comp M5
Comp M5 has nearly the same toughness as previous generation Comp M4 optic. It is fully shock-proof, stable, fog-proof and waterproof (submersible up to 150 feet or 45 meters).
Operating temperature for the sight is also the same as Comp M4 - it can perform in the temperature range between -49 and +160 in Fahrenheit or -45 to +71 in Celsius.
At the time of writing this Aimpoint Comp M5 review - it is the most rugged and durable product sold by Aimpoint.
Extensive list of pros:
- Rugged design. Aimpoint Comp M5 is the most durable and rugged product currently sold by Aimpoint, which is known for their durability. That says a lot about the quality of this product.
- Extensive battery life. Aimpoint advertises battery life to be 50,000 hours for low daylight brightness level and 100,000 hours for night vision mode. Since the product came out in late 2017, noone has been able to test this to full extend.
- Precise at variety of distances. A standard 2 MOA reticle size and compatibility with magnifiers allows Comp M5 to be effectively used for any distances. It is the most proficient at close to medium ranges, but could be effectively used in long distance combat as well.
- Compatible with additional attachments. The optic is fully compatible with many different attachments, such as kill flashes, magnifiers and night vision devices.
- Aimpoint's transferable warranty. Aimpoint offers VIP transferable warranty for all their products. Any damaged or defective part will be repaired. If repairs can't be done - it will be replaced with a new one.
- Optic uses AAA batteries. Sight uses standard AAA batteries of any type or voltage. Using lithium battery will extend device's battery life.
- Has 10 brightness settings. Comp M4 has a total of 4 night vision and 6 daylinght brightness settings, including one extra bright option.
Complete list of cons for Aimpoint Comp M5 red dot:
- Expensive. New product will end up being around $900 including a standard setup. This is much more expensive than most red dot sights, but is of the same price as previous generation Comp M4 optic and it's definitely worth the price for the quality you're getting.
- Lower brightness setting selection than previous generation model. Aimpoint Comp M4 had 16 brightness settings while this one has only 10.
- Lower battery life than previous generation model. Aimpoint Comp M4 had a battery life of 80,000 hours for medium daylight settings and up to 500,000 hours for night vision, while current one has 50,000 hours for low brightness daylight settings and up to 100,000 for night vision settings.
Aimpoint Comp M5 specifications
- Device dimensions: 3.3" × 3.3" × 1.6" (85mm x 83mm x 40mm).
- Weight of sight and battery: 5.2 oz (148g)
- Weight of sight, spacer & mount included: 8.4 oz (238g)
- Magnification: 1x
- Dot size: standard 2 MOA
- Dot color: Red
- Eye relief: Unlimited
- Brightness settings: 6 daylight (1 extra bright), 4 night vision
- Battery: Standard AAA size battery. Lithium will increase battery life.
- Battery life: Up to 50,000 hours using medium daylight brightness settings and up to 100,000 using night vision.
- Surface color: Matte black
- Housing material: High strength military-grade aluminum
- Anti-shock and anti-vibration: Yes
- Flip covers: Covers included on both ends. Rear one is transparent, front one is black.
- Compatibility with accessories: Yes. It's fully compatible with kill flashes, magnifiers, concealed engagement units, night vision devices.
Aimpoint Comp M5 review covered the most important aspects and features of this optic. It's the most durable and rugged model currently sold by Aimpoint. This model is built for military and law enforcement use, but could be purchased by anyone with interest in high quality, most durable products. The lenses are extremely clear, target acquisition with the sight is fast, optic has extensive battery life and 10 brightness settings for the red dot. It's an overall awesome product and worth the high price for common use in gun range, training, hunting or tactical applications.
Overall rating: 4.8/5.0 stars