Aimpoint Comp M4 is considered to be one of the best firearm optics ever made. Learn why that's the case:
Aimpoint Comp M4 Optic
Ease of Use
Aimpoint Comp is one of the best known optic product lines in the world, with first product coming out in 1995 and used by US military since 1997. Comp M4 came out a decade later, in 2007 and has become a hit, currently being used by all branches of US military. It is one of the most durable, sturdy and highest quality red dot optics available right now. All of this does come at a price, bringing an average product price to nearly $900. If you wish to get the absolute best red dot on the market - this will be the one you want.
In-depth review of Aimpoint Comp M4
We've already done a quick overview of Comp M4 optic on out Best Red Dot Sight Buying Guide and decided to have a more extensive overview of this awesome product. Here are the qualities that makes the Aimpoint Comp M4 optic a favourite among the military:
Description of the Aimpoint Comp M4 red dot sight
Aimpoint Comp M4 is one of the premier red dots on the market. It’s also one of the most durable red dots out there, because it was originally designed for military use, but after growing popularity of the Comp product line, Aimpoint decided to start selling it to the public.
The sight can handle any gun caliber and we’ve tested it with high caliber carbine rifles – it was the most sturdy red dot optic we’ve had the chance to test.
This Aimpoint has a standard 2 MOA red dot, making it a great option for any combat distance. The lenses are extremely clear, allowing for immediate target acquisition and extreme precision.
Comp M4 uses Aimpoint’s standard anti-reflective coating done over several layers on the lenses, allowing you to have clear vision, no matter the lighting conditions.
The red dot weighs 9.4 oz, which is moderately heavy for a red dot, but considering that it uses mounting screws instead of mounting rings, the weight is mediocre. That said, when compared to other Aimpoint products, the sight would be considered as one of the lighter options.
Aimpoint Comp M4 uses AA batteries of any voltage, because there is a built-in voltage regulator. It is uncommon for a red dot to use standard AA batteries as the primary power source.
The battery life of Aimpoint Comp 4 is incredible. With medium brightness settings, a battery will last for 80,000 hours, while night vision settings will make it last for up to advertised 500,000 hours, which we obviously were not able to test.
With a total of 9 daylight brightness settings and 7 night vision settings. This makes it a perfect choice for any lighting conditions.
One last thing that’s great about this optic is that it’s being used by over 1 million people right now. This means that you have extensive guides, hundreds if not thousands of forum posts made about this, tens of thousands of questions asked. Because of this, finding any type of question already answered is likely.
All of these things come at a price. Sight without a mount costs roughly $650, while one with mounts could go up to $900, based on the mount type and retailer of choice. Typically when you buy other Aimpoint products, the asking price is roughly around $400-500, but this is one of their most premier optics, which goes up in price for nearly twice as much.
One thing to keep in mind when purchasing this sight - Aimpoint Comp M4s is slightly different than Aimpoint Comp M4 and is not to be confused, primarily for one difference – Comp M4 has a battery compartment at the top, while Comp M4s has one at the bottom.
Toughness test for Aimpoint Comp M4
The sight is fully shockproof and extremely stable. Like we’ve already mentioned – the red dot was tested on high caliber carbine and it took every shot with pride, no matter the recoil.
On top of that, Aimpoint Comp 4 is fog-proof. It’s standard for red dot sights within this price range and any red dot made by Aimpoint.
It’s also waterproof and submersible up to 150 feet or 45 meters.
Operating temperature for this red dot is -49 to 160 Fahrenheit or -45 to 71 degrees in Celsius.
In case something happens to the product under these conditions – Aimpoint offers lifetime transferable warranty, which covers repairs or replacements of this product, so you should feel very confident in purchasing the sight.
Extensive list of pros:
- Rugged design. The optic is sturdy and durable, designed to withstand recoil stress even from the highest caliber firearms.
- Intuitive and easy to use. The optic is easy to attach to a gun with the use of a mount.
- Extensive battery life. Aimpoint advertises up to 80,000 hours of battery life with medium daylight settings and up to 500,000 hours with night vision settings. We haven't been able to test this, because of the longevity.
- Precise at many different ranges. Comp M4 red dot excels at close or medium combat applications, but using it with an additional magnifier will make it perfect for long-range combat as well.
- Crisp and clear lenses. It provides easy target acquisition and great precision at different distances.
- Compatible with other attachments. Sight is fully compatible with most standard magnifiers, but works the best with Aimpoint's 3xMag Magnifier Module (#Ad). You can also add kill flashes or other devices.
- Lifetime transferable warranty. Aimpoint offers transferable lifetime warranty for all their products. You don't need to save the receipt or fill any paperwork - they will repair or replace any damaged or defective parts.
- Used by US military for over a decade. Aimpoint Comp M4 has been used by every branch of US military for more than a decade, while other sights in the same Comp product range were used for two decades. If this doesn't prove overall product quality - nothing will.
- Device uses standard AA batteries. The optic uses standard AA batteries you can get anywhere. This is uncommon for red dots of current generation.
- It is waterproof, fog-rpoof and shock-proof. Sight has been designed to withstand most outdoor elements, making it a perfect red dot for any application or weather condition.
- Has a total of 16 brightness settings. Comp M4 has 9 daylight brightness settings and 7 night vision settings.
Complete list of cons for Aimpoint Comp M4 gun sight:
- It is expensive. A brand new Comp M4 sight can currently be purchased for $900 with most mount options or up to $650 without a mount.
- Moderately heavy in compaison to other red dots. Optic weighs 9.4 oz, which is heavy in comparison to most red dots, but moderately light as an Aimpoint red dot sight.
Aimpoint Comp M4 specifications
- Device dimensions: 5.3" × 4.7" × 2.8" (135mm x 120mm x 72mm).
- Weight of sight and battery: 9.4 oz
- Magnification: 1x
- Dot size: standard 2 MOA
- Dot color: Red
- Eye relief: Unlimited.
- Brightness settings: 9 Daylight (1 extra bright), 7 Night Vision.
- Battery: standard AA size battery, either alkaline or lithium of any voltage.
- Battery life: up to 80,000 on medium daylight settings and up to 500,000 with night vision
- Surface colour: matte black
- Material used for tube, spacer, mount: High strength aluminum
- Anti-shock and anti-vibration: Yes
- Flip covers: Both front and rear to protect lens from any type of damage.
- Compatibility with accessories: Yes. Anti-reflective devices, Kill flash, Aimpoint 3XMag magnifier, other magnifiers Concealed engagement unit.
Aimpoint Comp M4 is the highest quality sight you can find. Being used by every branch of US military, you know this is going to be a quality product. It’s even more obvious when you first get to hold it – right away you can feel the durability and overall product quality just oozing from it.
Lenses are extremely clear and crispy, allowing for fast target acquisition and precise shooting capabilities. If you want an optic that will continue to impress you for the next few decades - this is a sight to get.
Overall rating: 5.0/5.0 stars