Manufactured by leading quality firearm optic maker - Vortex Optics, Strike Eagle sight is one of the highest quality long-range scopes out there. Here's a quick overview of the product:
In-depth review of Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-8x
A leading optics manufacturer made sure the product quality is kept up extremely high, same as with their other products. It's the best long-range scope you can get with $400 budget.
Description of Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-8x
Vortex Optics is an America based company currently located in Barneveld, Wisconsin. The company, with staff strength of over 210 employees, have consistently proven to be one of the best manufacturers of sleek yet rugged, versatile and nicely affordable optics in the world of firearms. They have been manufacturing optics and different products for gun enthusiasts or hunters for over 15 years.
The company seems to thoroughly engage the Force of optics to churn out optics made from premium quality aluminium, which Vortex Optic Strike Eagle can also boast of being manufactured with. The company can be recognized alongside the big wigs of firearm optics manufacturers, such as Eotech and Aimpoint.
Originally launched and marketed in mid-2015 as a dual purpose tactical shooting and hunting optic, Vortex Pptic Strike Eagle was primarily designed for 3-gun use and it functions well with automatic rifles, such as AR-10 and AR-15 rifles. Other compatible firearms include any gun using 5.56 cartridge as well as other cartridges or calibers. Since the gun doesn't come with a mount, it fits any model or calibre that your selected mount fits.
The 30mm tube has a 1-8x magnification range which is perfect for speed and accuracy of target aim as well as precision at both zero and extended ranges of up to 800 yards. The transition between the levels of magnification can be made better using the Vortex Switchview SV-4 Throw lever which, of course, is optional. The optic gives a greater identification of thread.
On top of being a diverse and compatible optic that performs well with any shooting application, it also has 11 brighness levels, making it perfect for tactical shooting and hunting during any weather conditions. The scope is both water-resistant, waterproof, fog-proof and shock-proof.
A new package of Vortex Optics Strike Eagle holds the compact Vortex Optic Strike Eagle, which is carefully packaged and protected from damage when transporting it or while in storage. The following products / items also share the optic’s pack you’re going to receive after purchase:
- A manual that provides valuable instructions on how to handle and use the Vortex Strike Eagle optic for maximum performance
- A CR2032 battery, which should power the optic for up to 10,000 hours. At maximum brightness level, the battery will power the optic for up to 150 hours. The optic has an extra battery compartment below the windage turret cap to hold an extra CR2032 battery that provides illumination for the reticle, while in use.
- Excellent Reticle: The optics has an AR-BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) reticle ingrained between two glasses of the lens to protect its durability and versatility for longer. The reticle illuminates and turns to red as the brightness settings is turned up. The reticle helps save battery power since it is visible on the optic, which makes the maximum level of brightness unnecessary in well-lit environments.
- A clear glass / lens in 24mm diameter and fully multi-coated, which helps enhance light transmissions through the lens. The glass is protected from scratches, fog, oil spills and harsh environmental elements. The glass is also distorted and blurry at the edges but gives a clear image in the centre, especially when magnification is increased.
- Flip caps: two flip caps protect the lens from any intended or accidental damage that the optic may suffer.
- Product warranty: Get sold out on the optic’s performance plus the exceptional product warranty from Vortex Optics. You get a lifetime transferable warranty buying any Vortex Optics product.
- The product does not come with a mount but quality mounts such as Vortex 30mm cantilever Riflescope Ring mount or the Aero lightweight SPR mounts are perfect for mounting Vortex Strike Eagle on to your desired firearm. With a few extra dollars to spare, you could also choose a QD mount as your optic mount. The mount has 12-point adjustment screws and is sturdy, making it a perfect fit.
Extensive list of pros:
- Sharp optics: the glass is crispy clear, which allows for perfect and instant target aim acquisition at close-up or far ranges up to 800 yards on every zoom level, between 1x and 8x. The changes in magnification can be done more quickly using Vortex Switchview SV-4 throw lever, which is an optional addition.
- Compatibility and performance: functioning extremely well, when mounted on any sporting rifle. Examples of such rifles are the AR 15, AR 10. Also, any firearm of 5.56 cartridge. Since device comes without a mount (unless ordered with one), it will fit any calibre a selected mount fits.
- Reticle illumination: the AR-BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) reticle comes with illumination options. Reticle turns red from black as brightness settings peak or are adjusted to maximum levels. It holds zero every time. The reticle is etched between double layers of glass to protect the optic, ensure its durability and reliability at all times.
- User-friendly: the optic is compact, but not complicated. It is very easy to work with, even on a first try for non-professional shooters or someone as experienced as instructors. It's manual is also included in the box, which provides access to detailed instructions on the optic’s use.
- Affordable device: a unique attribute that all Vortex optics share. Vortex company combines quality, durability and affordability in their wide range of optics. You can purchase Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x for $400.
- Toughness and durability: the optics’ low price when compared to other popular optics’ prices doesn't translate to, or result in a cut down in the quality of the piece. Vortex Optics Strike Eagle is manufactured out of high standard aluminium, strong enough to build an aircraft with. It is tough enough to survive falls and withstand massive hits without denting.
- Excellent eye relief: obtain satisfactory eye relief at 3.5 inches.
- Brightness settings: the brightness levels for this optic can go from maximum to low and back up with 11 levels for brightness. Vortex Optic Strike Eagle is a low light optic that does not require too much brightness to function properly. Unlike a red dot, the ingrained reticle can still be seen on the optic lens in low light environments.
- The optic is
perfect for both tactical shooting and hunting. Vortex company marketed it as being dual use for these two purposes.
- Excellent batteries: the optic is powered by a CR2032 battery with a cell size of 20mm and diameter of 3.2mm, which has an estimated 150 hours of life on maximum brightness or up to 10,000 hours with minimal brightness setting. Note that a DL battery can be used in place of a CR battery in case the CR battery is not available.
- Extra battery compartment: located directly under the windage turret cap is the extra battery compartment for the Vortex Optic Strike Eagle. This is to ensure that a gun user never runs out of power for the optic while on the go. A feature that is not commonly seen on other optics on the firearms market.
- Flip-up caps: these are essential to cover the lens and protect it from moisture, dust or dirt that can cause damage to the optic from the inside or outside. The caps flip up and stay flipped back on top of the optic when opened.
- Adjustable Minute of Angle (MOA): adjust your MOA to fit your zero. Adjust elevation setting and windage settings at 100 MOA each and at 0.5 MOA graduation.
- Multi coated glass feature: a wonderful feature that aids light transmission through the glass. The glass is protected from harsh conditions such as the sun’s glare, dust and other elements.
- The best warranty you can get: Vortex company offers an incredible lifetime VIP warranty for each of their products, including the Vortex Optic Strike Eagle. The warranty is transferable. No receipt for optic is needed, no warranty card filling or heavy paperwork. The VIP stands for Very Important Promise, which Vortex makes for all the products.
Complete list of cons:
- No parallax adjustment: the optic is set to be parallax-free at 100 yards. Reduce this problem with a consistent cheek weld whenever there is a change in the range of shooting.
- Heavy weight of the optic: At 17.6 ounces, the weight of Vortex Optics Strike Eagle is a far cry when compating with several other scopes on the markey. When the optic’s mount is installed, it shoots its weight further up to about 24.3 ounces. However, focusing on the optic’s excellent performance will blur its weight problem.
- The eye box of the optic may be too tight and could throw shadows on your field of view. Consistent use of the device may help a user get accustomed to the eye box in order to manipulate it to suit their need.
- No mounting hardware comes with the optic. Recommended mount for the optic is Vortex 30mm cantilever Riflescope Ring mount for AR15; the Aero lightweight SPR mount or a QD mount for a few extra dollars.
- The reticle fades away in direct sunlight. the reticle is almost impossible to be seen in the direct glare of the sun and in situations where the shooter has to aim from a far distance at a target placed in low light environment.
Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1-8x specifications
- Magnification: 1-8x (also available in 1-6x, 3-18x and 4-24x)
- Tube size: 30mm
- Lens diameter: 24mm
- Optic’s colour: Matte black only
- Weight: 17.6 ounces
- Length: 10 inches
- Parallax free: at 100 yards
- Maximum elevation adjustments: 100 MOA
- Maximum windage adjustments: 100 MOA
- Adjustment graduation: 0.5 MOA
- Eye relief: 3.5 inches
- Reticle: AR-BDC2, Illuminated, ingrained on to optic’s glass
- Brightness settings: 11 power settings
- Optics battery: CR2032
- Optics glass: fully multi-coated
- Waterproof: Yes
- Fog proof: Yes. Filled with Nitrogen/ Argon to prevent from fogging.
- Single piece chassis: Yes. Solid body.
- Lifetime/VIP warranty: Yes. The warranty is transferable. No receipt is required, no heavy or lengthy paperwork to be done. Present the broken optic to Vortex optics and have it replaced or repaired, even if you didn't buy from them directly. Make sure you're buying it from verified dealer though.
- Accessories: Vortex Fog-free lens cleaning kit, Vortex 30mm Lo Pro Bubble level, Vortex Switchview SV-4 Throw lever (1.732”/ 44mm), Vortex Defender Flip cap objective, Vortex Defender Flip cap eyepiece.
The Vortex Optic Strike Eagle is a great purchase for a consumer who wants a variable power optic of excellent quality at an affordable price of $400. It is extremely accurate, durable and you get a lifetime transferable warranty with the purchase of this product. Won't be able to find any other long-range scope that is better than this one, while being in the same price range.
Overall rating: 4.7/5.0 stars